The warm weather is finally here, and it’s hard to resist going on outside for a run and enjoying the fresh air. However, before you hit the ground running, it is essential to focus on running in a way that will reduce the risk of injury and ensure your overall safety. If you are looking for sports rehab in Massapequa NY, Park Physical Therapy can help you back on your feet! Now you can check out these tips that will keep you safe while running this summer:
- Find the right shoes for you – The running shoe you wear should be based upon both your style of running and foot type. It is essential to consider your foot’s arch type, pronation, and gait when selecting a running shoe. If you’re not sure, your local running store can help you determine which shoe is the best for you!
- Include strength training – Although running is a good workout, it should not be the only workout. Including strength training in your workout routine can be crucial in improving athleticism and overall body strength. Strength training also helps to reduce muscle fatigue that can cause injury.
- Eat a well-balanced diet – It is recommended to eat a light meal roughly one to two hours before running. When selecting your pre-run-meal, you should choose something high in carbohydrates, but low protein, fat, and fiber. Good examples would be a bagel with peanut butter or oatmeal with berries.
- Stay hydrated – Stay hydrated – Running, especially outdoors, can result in heat exhaustion or dehydration if you are not adequately hydrated. It is recommended to prehydrate before running with about 16-20 ounces of water and hydrate with an additional 6-8 ounces for each hour of activity.
- Stretch it out – Stretching on a daily basis is critical in maintaining and improving flexibility. Greater flexibility is shown to reduce injury and improve overall performance. It is essential to take your time when stretching and include all extremities and joints. Active stretching is the best stretch to do pre-run. This form of stretching uses controlled leg movements to improve mobility, loosen muscles, and increase heart rate to get the most out of your run.
- Include a warm-up – Starting a run without a warm-up puts you at risk for pulling a muscle, or hurting a tendon, bone, or joint. It is essential to include a warm-up that allows these areas to loosen up and gradually bring your heart rate up, making it easier to get into a good rhythm and pace.
Following these tips and making small changes to your routine can make a world of difference when it comes to running. Both are running correctly and having a good exercise regimen is vital in ensuring your overall safety and comfort as a runner.
If you find yourself injured from running or another form of exercise, sports rehab in Massapequa, NY, may be necessary. At Park Physical Therapy, we strive not only to provide you with a full recovery but to educate you on how to take the steps needed to avoid further injury.
Contact us today!
Our skilled and experienced staff at Park Physical Therapy are dedicated to providing you with the best possible care and routine for you. Our sports rehab in Massapequa, NY, is the best of the best and we want all of our patients to be able to do what they love again. Contact our office today to set up an appointment and get back to feeling like yourself again!
Great Tips For Running
Our skilled and experienced staff at Park Physical Therapy are dedicated to providing you with the best possible care and routine for you.
Park Physical Therapy