The Importance of Running Safely
While running may be an activity we take part in, many of us don’t know how to run properly and safely over time. Running is a great way to get into working out, but it’s not worth risking injury if you aren’t running safely. If you’ve experienced an injury from a run, visit our sports rehab in Massapequa, NY at Park Physical Therapy.
Having the right equipment for a run is just as essential as the run itself. When looking for a pair of shoes for running, here are a few things to keep an eye out for:
- Achilles tendon protector – Tearing your Achilles is one of the more painful injuries to experience. The Achilles protector works by conforming the shoe around the heel, which diminishes the pressure on the Achilles tendon.
- Insole – Insole cushions will support your feet and arches, and they can be moved so you can wash them in between running sessions.
- Outsole – Outsoles have grooves and treads which help with traction as your feet touch the ground.
There are quite a lot of benefits from running. If you are consistently running at least thirty minutes a day, five days a week, these are some of the benefits you can experience:
- Reduced risk of death from heart attack or stroke
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease
- Lowered risk of developing cancer
- Lowered risk of developing neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases
How to start?
If you are starting to run, there are a few things you should be aware of:
- Diet – Losing weight and getting healthy all starts with what you eat. Having eight ounces of water eight times a day before you start any workout or run is a good idea.
- Pace yourself – If you are just starting to run or are getting back into running, you need to pace yourself. Before you register for a race, you should see how well you are after jogging for a certain amount of time. If you push yourself too hard, you can risk the chance of getting injured.
- Stretching – Before and after you run, you should take at least five minutes to stretch. This will help get the blood flowing and also helps avoid possible tears or strains.
Are you looking for great sports rehab in Massapequa NY to rehabilitate from a running injury? At Park Physical Therapy, we’ve been helping our patients for years and are ready to help you! Contact us today.